Following thirty Many years Battersea Power Station to become Converted into 3, 500 Brand new Homes
Battersea Power Station has stood empty for decades awaiting development and approval of plans. Now it’s been announced that in October 2013, conversion into new homes will finally begin thirty years after the ability station closed. The Battersea Power Station Development Company is behind the venture and in charge of the restoration of the Grade II listed building.
The restoration project will run into an incredible number of pounds and will need to include much major repair work before any renovation is clearly undertaken. FFPOWER The very first phase of the building work is to fix the external brickwork, clean the towers, do work to the steel frame, repair and replace windows and remove and rebuild the famous chimneys. The chimneys will be reconstructed to the exact same design but using the latest safety and structural standards. The idea is to help keep the building looking the exact same and as a tattoo of London.
A special team has been put together to work on the site and the key developer for phase 1 as been announced as Carillion with the architect being Ian Simpson Architects and de Rijke Marsh Morgan. The contract for the first phase is rumoured to be worth around £400 million and will be one of many largest in London at the existing time. Carillion is one of many UK’s largest construction firms and already has several high profile development schemes udder its belt such as for instance Terminal 5 at Heathrow Airport and Crossrail and the Royal Liverpool Hospital Project.
The very first phase will be known as Circus West and will be to the west side of the Power Station and will include around 850 one, two and three bedroom apartments, also town houses and luxury penthouses. There is likewise shops, commercial units, cultural buildings an d community spaces. When completed the complete development will give you more than 3,500 new homes. It will also create a large quantity of new jobs.
Battersea Power Station is the largest brick building in Europe and was known for its Art Deco interior and decor. It is a classic coal-fired power station on the bank of the Thames river, in South-West London. It is clearly two individual power stations which were built at different occuring times but within one building. The very first part was integrated the 1930’s and the second part 20 years later. They have an identical design giving the iconic 4 chimney look. The ability station stopped making electric in 1983 and has stood empty ever since. However appearances in a variety of music videos for the Beaatles, Take That and Judas Priest and importantly gracing the cover of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album Animals have caused it to be an original landmark for London.
Before the 1930’s it had been for the area councils to provide electric and so there were small power stations to perform the job for different districts and the energy was used for a particular factory or industry and excess was sold to the public. However as they certainly were small places the quality and voltage and frequency of the ability differed greatly. In 1925 the Government decided there should be one single power grid with uniform standards. The London Power Company was formed from several of small power suppliers.
Their first super power station was built at Battersea while the proximity to the river allowed for quick cooling of the systems and good for delivery of the coal and was in the center of London to provide electric to. There was much opposition on the causes that the building could be an eye-sore so the company brought in a popular architect to create the exterior. When it opened it had been the absolute most thermally efficient power station in the world. It had been integrated 2 stage and by the time the second phase was completed the UK’s electric supply have been nationalised and ownership was passed to the British Electricity Authority.
There were several redevelopment plans over the years as different companies overran the site. In 2004 there is a redevelopment project in the pipe line but the present debts of over £750 million, the requirement that any development must add a £200 million contribution to a proposed extension of the London Underground, the need for a waste transfer plant and cement factory on the banks of the river and the conversation required, caused it to be an unattractive investment and a hard commercial project.
In 2006 it had been bought by an Irish company for £400 million. They initially planned to refurbish your website into a public venue and housing. The master plan was granted permission to proceed however the Irish company’s debts meant the administrations were called in at the end of December 2011 and in July 2012 it had been sold to a Malaysian owned consortium for the exact same amount while the Irish company got it for. Most interested parties simply desired to demolish the structure and redevelop the land and it’s took careful negotiation to find a firm prepared to undertake the conservation and refurbishment, while creating a commercial venture.